This year I decided to take the plunge and signed up for Shimelle's "Journal your Christmas" class. This will be the first year that both the kids are old enough to be aware of what's going on, so I thought it was important to have a record of the season. If I was left to my own devices chances are I would occasionally remember to take photos and "mean" to write stuff down but I know I wouldn't get round to it and the photos would still be sitting in a folder on my harddrive this time next year. I'm hoping the daily prompts will compel me into actually getting something done. Time will tell.
I have made a start on the process. I decided on my album size (8x8 - on the basis of the "not too big:not too small" argument) and remembered that I had a post bound 8x8 album lurking on a shelf that I hadn't used - mainly because it wasn't particularly attractive (not to me anyway) as it had a hertiage-type themed cover, not something I would ever use (I must have bought it in the sale). It looked like this anyway. Sorry to anyone who has one - it's just not my bag, as it were.
As it turned out it was perfect for altering for this project, especially as I decided that I didn't want to go post bound (not least because whilst I had extra page protectors, the extension posts didn't fit - typical!) so I could add different sized pages and bulkier embellishments if I wanted.
I still wanted the padded look of the post bound album for the cover though. So, after some serious creative dismembering ;) I ended up with this:
To get to this point, I took the post bound album apart (including removing the metal posts), then I used my craft knife and metal ruler to trim off the extra parts (that make the spine). Then I covered the front and back covers with the Holiday Joy Red Swirl Paper (from Paper Adventures. I knew my Craft TV Weekly addiction would come in handy, thanks to Tricia Morris and her obsession with perfectly mitred corners the covered turned out looking great :)
I'd decided that I was going to go for a book ring binding on the album - but I did have a little trouble with punching the holes through the cover as it was so thick (Oh for a Crop-o-dile at that point in time!). Don't get me wrong, I love my Provocraft Silent Setter - mostly because it is, as the name suggests, silent, which is important in a household where most of your scrapping is done when the kids are in bed. The only really problem with it comes when you want to punch through anything more than a couple of sheets of cardstock, like, for example, a post bound album cover. To get through that you need to turn into Dr. David Banner on an off day (trust me, you wouldn't like him when he's angry ;)).
After my impression of the not-so-jolly green giant, and half way through the last of the holes (which happened to be one of the middle ones because I'd figured 3 rings was better than two) I realised that half my page protectors only had holes for two book rings - so I had to go through and punch all those out as well (although they didn't quite require hulk-type musles).
I lined the insides of the cover with black cardstock from the DCWV Christmas cardstock stack and then decorated the front, with the incredibly original title of "Christmas 2007" - but give me a break, I'd just almost burst a blood vessel putting holes in the damn thing! :)
This is the front cover embellishments close up:
The patterned cardstock strips are from the DCWV 8x8 Christmas stacker and inked with a Brilliance Brilliant White ink pad. The "Tis the Season" tag was made from a piece of mountboard. The edges were cut at an angle and inked in green, and then the front was covered with a piece of stamped, wet embossed, red cardstock. The "Jingle Bells" circle tag was punched out of green cardstock with a 2in scalloped punch, stamped with the Jingle Bells punch, coloured with red, green and white Gelly roll pens, and highlighted with Glossy Accents. The Stamps are from the Dovecraft Studio G Christmas range.
The title is hand cut from DCWV textured cardstock in "Kayleigh" font and covered with Glossy Accents. The year tag is a PM metal rimmed tag with Royal and Langsnickel "Devon" silver rub-ons. The ribbon is 1/4 grosgrain in red and green and the white swirl was handcut in DCWV cardstock using a chipboard swirl as a template (which came in the October Scrapping Angels kit).
I'm pretty happy with how it came out, all that's left to do now is fill it! I'm hoping to get a couple of "blank" 8x8 background pages done so I will have a couple on stand by for the days where I don't have time to start from scratch. Hopefully I can get round to that tonight - poorly munchkins permitting!.
Just waiting with baited breathe for the first prompt..... thank Goodness it's the 1st tomorrow. I'm WAY too impatient!